Sunday, February 2, 2014

Wrong Time...

Den of the Beastly Bear

Hi Folks!

I am convinced I was born in the wrong era!

Why you may ask?

As a bit of a tech junkie you probably think I long for a future as advanced as we see in various SciFi movies.
You'd be wrong.

I long for a time when men wore hats! I LOVE hats!
Why? Couldn't tell you...but I find them stylish. Not baseball caps, no I mean REAL hats.
Fedoras, bowlers, cuffley caps, cowboy hats, porkpie you name it!
Me, black straw cuffley cap
I love the back and white movies of the forties and fifties! Bogart rules! Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and Key Largo!!! 

Lauren Bacall was the ultimate woman, beautiful but tough and smart! Watch her in "The Big Sleep", she exudes a cool, smart sexapeal that leaves the likes of Angelina Jolie in the dust!

And dresses!
I love women in dresses!
That is not to say I'm not a big fan of well fitting jeans, or yoga pants on a fine behind, but dresses are classy!
Don't get me wrong ladies, I don't want a return to subservient women! I like smart, sassy women that speak their mind and don't take shit...just do it in a dress and my heart beats a little faster!

Cars:
I long for the days when cars had character!
When you could tell by the headlights/tail lights what the car in front of you was. Fins, louvres, suicide doors, front seats the size of couches!

Case in point, I give you the 1961 Studebaker Hawk!



There is a car you couldn't mistake for anything else on the road!!!
Before the government regulated the fun right out of them, and made them all homogenous mini boxes that look the same! 


I like my guns wood and steel!
Do I love my Glock? Yes...
But it still feels like a toy in my hand.
Nothing beats the feel of a steel frame 1911!


I love leather, not plastic and vinyl!
Do they require less maintenance, sure but you can't beat the smell and feel of butter soft leather!!!



I miss that things were made to last and now are disposable. I have a pocket watch that was my grandfather's, made in about 1916 still works.
I've probably been through 10 watches in my adult life, will probably go through another ten by the time they plant me!

So while I write my blog on a tablet with about 10X the computing power used to send men to the moon, I still long for a simpler day!

Well those are my random thoughts this Sunday morning folks...

Be Well!

Beastly Bear


6 comments:

  1. You look good in that hat!! I think all those old things are cool....they really knew how to build the cars back in the day didn't they? ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, that's one of my favorite summer hats!

      Delete
  2. One of my friends, Chip, is enamoured of that era as well. He and our friend Ginny. I would love to do a photo shoot with them dressed that way, posing with some old cars. You would love the antique car collection at Heritage Museums & Gardens in Sandwich. I've always wanted to go back to that era myself...so that I could buy all the beaded purses, marbles, velvet shawls & cloche hats that I could find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoJo, just such a classy era!!! If I'm ever in Sandwich, you can bet I'll check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bogie and Bacall.. *They* make my heart skip a beat.. I love classic looks, classic romance and I love hats too! I love all those hats women wear to those Royal functions and polo matches and I love those hats the black women wear to church! My grandpa always wore a hat and I prefer dresses to pants or jeans. I'd still be mouthy, I'd just look prettier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Say Doll, bet you look like a classy dame in a dress and hat"!!! ;-)

      Delete